Thursday, May 04, 2006

A not-so-rainy day in ballinasloe.

Hello all,

I got moved to a new site today, on my request. The new one is quite cool, a big ring fort that I had been surveying. I think it should be good.

Nicole has read 5 books in the past week. Is this a medical condition? Apparently she usually doesn't read that fast. She just said, "I don't know what happened". I feel belittled by people who can read so fast. It reminds me of grade 4, when we'd have reading competitions for our class. For every book we read, our parents would sign a little slip of paper, and the team with the most books at the end of a month would win a pizza lunch. I remember there was a few girls who I could never compete with (I'm assuming because I had a spectacular social life)and it would always hurt so badly when they'd bring in a box of 100 book slips or so and hammer my measly 40. This is how I feel today. I think I've read about 1.5 books in the past 4 months. Still, I say its about quality, not quantity, so I took out (the famously irish) James Joyce's 'Ulysses' today, and I plan to have a good hack at it between glasses of Jamesons. According to the Lonely Planet, no one in history has actually gotten through a Joyce book, much less understood it, so I plan to be the first one ever. Take that Nicole, Rochelle Gnanapergasm, and Kristin Hayes!

On our holiday monday we walked out to the village of Aughrim and had a picnic in a nearby field. On the way into town, we walked by 2 of the coolest dogs I've ever seen. Two massive irish wolfhounds were lying on an open raised lawn held up by a big stone retaining wall. Leslie told us that Mick had really liked these dogs, and always drove by very slowly to look longingly at them. Well, we walked right up, and they lazily walked over to meet us. Only when they came close did I realize that the male was big enough for me to RIDE. I think if he stood on his hind legs, he would have been (actually, I'm not exaggerating here) at least 7 feet tall. His head was a good foot and a half long. They were unbelieveably mellow and tame, just kind of curious and quiet. Gentle giants.

(I copied this next part from an earlier email, yes, I'm lazy!!!)I'm playing in the pub tonight! I chatted up a pair of owners last night at a nice little place called Maud Miller's downtown, and they seemed quite gung ho. They said play anytime, so we decided on tonight. I'm going to call them and confirm, but it sounds like a hell of a lot of archaeologists are going to be there! Maybe I can make it a weekly spot! I'm very excited about that. I think I'm going to try to find a little pickup for my guitar, so I can use it onstage a bit easier. I'll let you know how it goes. They said they have a P.A. they can bring, but I don't know if it will be there or not, so I may be singing loud... I can't wait.

Talk to you all soon!

Luke

No comments: