Saturday, May 27, 2006

Weekend Bliss Part Deux

Hello all,

How is life treating you today? I can't believe it is already May 27th. I've almost been out here two months. Its a good place, I think. I've not seen a great amount of it yet, but some, for sure. I was thinking today about how much of a mythology we create for ourselves regarding far-away places. When you go and see them for yourself, it can be striking how some things match your expectations, but at the same time some aspects can be very suprising or different than you'd expect. Maybe it was just that I hadn't thought about all the different aspects of Irish culture before experiencing them, so I didn't have any preconcieved notion of what everything would be like. Most of what I knew about this place was from single-paragraph blurbs in travel brochures, pictures on beer labels, hollywood movie depictions, and verses from Pogues songs. Sure I'd learned bits and pieces from history classes, etc, but those aspects of a country are so far removed from what's going on currently. I do not live in an Igloo at home,or work for the Hudson's Bay Company, etc. Anyway, one of the things here that has really struck me as being just as I expected are: The Scenery. This country looks exactly as we picture it, just like every postcard you've ever seen. It is unbelievable. Maybe it is due to the fact that even the dirty and run down parts of Old World countries have been romanticized, but it seems that everywhere you turn here, you could take a postcard photo.

Funny.

Anyway, gotta go, can't really finish this one right.

Luke

No comments: