That's right, I finally found a damn shillelagh. I'm quite impressed with the thing, I think it really would kill or seriously maim a leprechaun.
ANYWAY, lots of fun stuff to report.
Nicole started work on the dig on Monday. It was absolutely ridiculous. We had long ago agreed that it would be fine for her to work for the same company as me, as surely she'd be working on a different site. They wouldn't put us together, knowing full well that she is my girlfriend. Well. The plan was that at 8AM they would come and pick her up to take her in for her first day. I was already at work by 8:00, and sure enough, at about 8:15 there they are, walking up to the site. I shook my head, and thought, 'well, its a big site, it should be fine'. Who do they assign her to? ME. There she is, working away on my little plot, and as I walk over, the supervisor is just finishing saying, 'Luke will take good care of you'. So, Nicole just became my digging partner! Hilarious.
The story continues... The day went great, with Nicole catching on very quickly to the various ins and outs of commercial archaeology: trowel techniques, shovel skills, jargon, etc. Near the end of the day, she demonstrated how well she had caught on by casually pulling up the coolest artifact found on the ringfort since the dig began in January.
On her first day as an Archaeologist, her first day having anything to DO with archaeology, Nicole found a 1200 year-old bronze brooch. A career highlight find. All we could do was laugh.
Gotta go.
Luke
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
A 1200 year old Bronze Brooch....unreal, isn't it a tradition that "rookies" get to keep the first artifact they find!!!! Awesome...what a team! Now Nicole will be hooked, it's like VLTs, you win big and then try to duplicate it for the rest of your life!!!
Good stuff. Ma &Da
You just made my day
Hey Luke, I sent you an email to your Fjords account and your fantasy camp account. You’re Sasktel and Goshdarn accounts always send my emails back.
David
Post a Comment