Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My first trip to London and Continental Europe. Whoa!

Today we're touring around Amsterdam. We caught the train to London on Sunday morning (I was calling it "My London Debut") and from the train station we took the Underground straight to...

The British Museum.

WOW! THE British Museum. It was insane, that's all I can say. Well, I can say a bit more. They could call it "that incredibly huge and beautiful building full of ridiculous amounts of stolen loot". Parts of the Parthenon (scandalous!), crazy statues, gold and jewels coming out of the wazoo, and everything else you can imagine. A fantastic place. Cameras were allowed. One thing I couldn't believe was that most of the statues were just sitting there at floor level (eye level if they were busts), or just slightly raised up. Priceless things! Things that I've been looking at in books for years, like ancient busts of Greek philosophers and Roman emperors. These things are thousands of years old, and you could (seemingly) just knock one over, lean on them, or sneeze all over them if you weren't careful. Nicole took a great photo of the emperor Trajan and I, "just chillin' out ". Security was pretty light, too.

Anyway, I highly reccommend that museum. The downside was that other than the tube stations, it was the only thing we saw in London. We knew that would be the case, and we plan to go back for a more representative visit.

After the Museum, we went back down to the tube, and caught the underground out to a train station. We had booked a night at a B&B out by the Stansted Airport (about 45 min. on the train from central London) and we headed there. It was great, pretty much a little house to ourselves, and very nice. In the morning we caught our plane to Eindhoven, Holland. Things had gone far too smoothly in London the day before, and so it was fated that RyanAir should leave our two smaller bags (which we had been forced to check) in London. Apparently it happens a lot, and they should be at our hotel today. I hope so. We're ok, though.

From Eindhoven we took a 2 hour bus ride to Amsterdam, and checked into our hostel/hotel. We've been wandering around Amsterdam ever since, enjoying the crazy atmosphere and goregeous canals. Last night we went to Madame Toussaud's, walked around the red light district, (a big tourist spot-pretty strange place, that's for sure) and went to a few pubs. Today we plan to see either the Rembrandt Museum or the Reijksmuseum (spelling?) and the Anne Frank House.

Anyway, it should be fun!

I hope you all are well. We'll post photos soon!

Luke

No comments: