Thursday, November 02, 2006

Safely Home

Well, Here I am. Back in Saskatoon. I made it! It was wonderful coming home and sleeping in my bed, seeing my parents again, and just being home.

The flight from Heathrow was pretty good. I went with Chris to Victoria Station in London where he was catching a bus to Paris, and then I headed back to the Underground and caught it to Heathrow. Once checked in, (the nice air canada lady waived my oversized baggage fee with a smile and put me on an earlier flight!) I wandered around the Duty Free shops trying to convince myself to buy some rare scotch or something, and just couldn't do it! Once I was on a plane, things go to a blur. I had an middle row aisle seat with no one next to me, so it was like first class without the price! I was able to sprawl out, and really make myself comfortable. Still, flights are invariably long and boring. The food was very good. I had tomatoey chicken and a glass of red. Luckily, I also had an interesting book to help me on the way: Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything". A great read. I know all about so many things now, or at least know where to look them up!

So, after clearing customs at Pearson, what did I do, you ask? Well... one of the things I missed a lot about Canada was the Appletons' rum. Apparently this is a problem for lots of people, because the first thing they have outside of the customs area is an "appleton's stop". It was hilarious. A little mini rum bar. Welcome to Canada! Needless to say, I indulged. It cost 7 dollars, 8 with a banana.

At Pearson, I randomly ran into Rada, a nice woman from work here in Saskatoon, and spent the layover chatting with her about our trips. She was coming back from her native Croatia, where she had been visiting her sick father. It was nice to see a familliar face, but it was too bad about the sad circumstances. She bought me a coffee and a doughnut at Tim Hortons. Nicest laday you'll ever meet.

I more or less stumbled off of the tiny plane at Saskatoon and booted it over to the gate to see my parents, and there they were. It was wonderful. Now I'm home, and I think I'll walk down to broadway today to check out the Scene. Also I need some new shoes.

Take care everyone. Despite the end of this trip, you can still read my random rantings on this blog. I won't stop the bloggin'.

Luke

2 comments:

nicole said...

Good to know you made it back safe! Miss you lolo

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear u made it home safe! It's cool that you're still gonna blog 2. I'll keep reading. As Stained said it's been a while. Would love to see you sometime. Maybe Kiki and some other counsellors could hit it up and supper one of these days? Neway glad you're back in toon town. Keep me informed about happenings with the band!!

Later